My Menstrual Migraine
First, my post is not a scientific journal. don't copy-paste my post as a reference for your study.
I'm on Neurology rotation.
and today I had a discussion about migraine today.
I am having menstrual migraine. it occurs because of the drop of estrogen level on menstrual cycle, not because the low level of estrogen.
My teacher said that I will routinely have this migraine until I pass menopause. It brings me down.
I hate this pain. why I should carry it for the next decades of my life??
what had I done wrong?
My teacher said that I should read it. and then I googled it.
if I should get a case presentation about headache, i would present my migraine... but unfortunately, i have to present medulla spinalis disorder.
History
9 years ago, when I was 13, I got my first period. I didn't have any complains every time I got period. none of any menstrual pain, even a slight menstrual cramps (sharp pains in a woman's lower abdomen).
5 years ago, when I was 17, my period had been on right on schedule(but sometimes had not.) I started to feel that cramps on my period occasionally.
few periods before I turned on 18, i started not to feel any cramps but an unilateral headache.
(I remembered the headache start when I was 18 because I broke up with my boyfriend when I was having terrible unilateral headache. I think that was my third headache attack)
4 years ago, or one year after the first time I had the headache. I had a prescription for my migraine for the first time. I consulted a doctor for a fever (I was having Dengue Fever), and an unilateral headache. The doctor who gave me the prescription was an internist. he gave me Cafergot (Ergotamine tartrate 1 mg, caffeine 100 mg). I bought it myself, but rarely take it on every attacks.
Since I was 18 until today, I have a routine headache. usually it starts ONE day before I get my period and last to ONE day of my period. I usually suffers for 48hours.
The headache is a pulsating headache. from I was 18 to now, it only occurs on my right side. the intensity is from moderate to severe. I sometimes feel better if I knock my head to the wall (yeah, I did knock my head to the wall seriously). I sometimes feel nausea but never vomit. and I can't stand on too bright light.
I don't have any family history with migraine. It's only me who have a migraine.
I don't respond to on-the-counter pain killers. I don't respond to Paracetamol or Mefenamic acid. Sometimes I respond to Neurodial (Methampyrone 500 mg, diazepam 2 mg), but mostly don't. But I have good respod to Cafergot.
Discussion
I fulfill the Migraine criteria
- Migraine without aura Diagnostic criteria:
- (A) At least five attacks fulfilling criteria B-D
- (B) Headache attacks lasting 4-72 hours (untreated or unsuccessfully treated)
- (C) Headache has at least two of the following characteristics:(1) Unilateral location(2) Pulsating quality(3) Moderate or severe pain intensity(4) Aggravation by or causing avoidance of routine physical activity (eg, walking or climbing stairs)
- (D) During headache at least one of the following:(1) Nausea or vomiting or both(2) Photophobia and phonophobia
- (E) Not attributed to another disorder.
Pure menstrual migraine without auraDiagnostic criteria:
- (A) Attacks in a menstruating woman fulfilling criteria Migraine without aura of International Classification of Headache Disorders (ICHD).
- (B) Attacks occur exclusively on day 1 (±2 days) (that is, days −2 to +3) of menstruation in at least two out of three menstrual cycles and at no other times of the cycle.
More about menstrual migraine.... you can google it.
but i like this article. and this (for a simpler reading).
I'm too tired to sum it on my post today. I still have that migraine right now.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
|
Labels:
informations,
meds hurt
|
-
UTOPIST ??!!!10 years ago
-
Kelas Dede Kecil Putik Duren Sawit11 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
0 comments:
Post a Comment